The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favourite book

Go down 
+15
surftaxi
Alexa Nightmare.
Lindsay
Le_Saboteur
hello disaster
asoftrevolution
Gloomyjewel
PolyphonicThought
Aelwyndaeira
gill
NightmaresOnWax
pinkhaired
witch_lilly
Kirsty
anjelik_dreamin
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NightmaresOnWax

NightmaresOnWax

Number of posts : 1676
Name : Mandy!
Registration date : 2007-04-20

Favourite book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 7:09 am

yourroyalscrumptiousness wrote:
At the moment I'm reading a book called Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - and I know I should finish the darn thing before I recommend it, but it's just so effing good.
READ AWAY LADIES!
Whats it about?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mandy.berthold
Kirsty

Kirsty

Number of posts : 8159
Name : Kiki, Kirsty
Registration date : 2007-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 7:12 am

anjelik_dreamin wrote:
Man when i was younger i used to LOVE the whole Sweet Valley High thing. Then the Sweet Valley Uni. Also the Sabrina the teenage witch ones. ANDDD i sometimes, in desperation, read Mills and Boon. Gosh. I feel embarassed. You can barely call them books!

OMG YEY! I used to love SVH and the sweet valley twins books. I used to get like 5 out of the library everytime we went.
Haha I've read a few Mills and Boon books! One of my mum's relatives was like a club member or something and we'd get like 4 carrier bags full of them and my nana would sit reading them. Then I read one and was like "WOAH!" my 60something year old nana is reading these?! I liked the ones that had fire down the sides that were meant to be "hotter" Razz

My boyfriend didnt know what they were like and I read him a "hot" passage and my mum came in. I was like "im educating him!". He thought it was a rofl.
Back to top Go down
http://misskirsty.blogspot.com
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 am

know what Nova_Zero? seen as in that list there are a few of my favourite books, im gonna trust your judgement and use the rest that i havent read as next months reading material Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 8:44 am

loveme4whoiam wrote:
haha. oi wiccanism is very similar to paganism misseh

From your friendly neighbourhood High Priestess:

Paganism describes any earth-based, magickal, occult or religion that worships olde deities. Such as: Druidism, Shamanism, Thelema, Hoodoo, Wicca, Dianic Wicca, Witchcraft, etc.

Wicca is a specific religion created by Gerald Gardner. Old Gardner got most of the beliefs from Eastern religions, the Freemasons, and the Golden Dawn. He claimed to have been part of the New Forest Coven, of which there is no proof to that claim. He was also a nudist, hence nudity during rituals (really had little to do with energy flow).

The stuff in Llewellyn books by Silver Ravenwolf (gag), Trish Telesco, Scott Cunningham, et al, is "neo-wicca". It's a watered down version of what Wicca truly is.

Some great links on Wicca:

Keep Wicca Traditional
Gerald Gardner.com

I am NOT Wiccan, albeit I practice Hedgewitchery, and kitchen witchery. I lean towards the Druidic practices, as well. I am also the High Priestess of the Grove of the Twilight Moon.

Just thought I'd add some info here...LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 8:48 am

anjelik_dreamin wrote:
Man when i was younger i used to LOVE the whole Sweet Valley High thing. Then the Sweet Valley Uni. Also the Sabrina the teenage witch ones. ANDDD i sometimes, in desperation, read Mills and Boon. Gosh. I feel embarassed. You can barely call them books!

Everyone used to buy those books for my sister and I, I guess 'cause we're identical twins. I hated them...LOL! My reading level was also WAAAAY higher than those books at the age I was supposed to read them. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Nova_Zer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Kiki wrote:
Haunted - Chuck Palahnuik - just a plain amazing book Very Happy

Fucking loved his Fight Club!!! So I'll definitely be reading this. Smooches for you, Kiki! I love you

gill wrote:
know what Nova_Zero? seen as in that list there are a few
of my favourite books, im gonna trust your judgement and use the rest
that i havent read as next months reading material Very Happy

yay! It's so cool to actually find someone with similar tastes in books. Cool

Last edited by on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 1:45 pm

I read fight club...and if im honest...I liked this a lot more.

But I will warn you...if you dont have a good stomach, dont read it. There's a little bit he writes at the end about the book tour and stuff and he said like...75 people i think fainted when he read parts of it. and my boyfriend nearly did too.

lol tell me when you read it Razz
Back to top Go down
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 pm

I love all Chuck Palahnuiks books, although i think theyre very samey..i like them all, but i could never read them one after the other..i'd get quite bored..
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 2:27 pm

i havent really read other ones but i really did love this. it was one of those "oh i have £8...ill buy a book eeeeehm THIS ONE!"

Id love to see a film of it. dont know if it would be amazing...but just because i wanna see it Razz
Back to top Go down
Nova_Zer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Okay so I finished Haunted 2 days ago and I have to say I just love, love loved it!
Can't really see why so many people made a big deal out of Guts though.
It didn't bother me in the least; in fact I was eating while I read it!
But I guess working in a hospital and then having an uncle who owns
a morgue desensitizes you to that kind of thing. Either that or I'm morbid. heh heh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 pm

NightmaresOnWax wrote:
yourroyalscrumptiousness wrote:
At the moment I'm reading a book called Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - and I know I should finish the darn thing before I recommend it, but it's just so effing good.
READ AWAY LADIES!
Whats it about?

ARGH SORRY MANDY!!!
It's about a highschool shooting, really. But it's more deep than that. It goes into the courtroom in the end, too. And then there's a huge twist at the end and I was like =O NEVER SAW THAT COMING!

But OMG I finished it last night and I'm missing it already D:
And when I bought the book the guy that sold it to me in the shop said that his boss is obsessed with this author and she thinks that Nineteen Minutes is the best book of all of them. So, it's not just me who loved it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 7:16 pm

mm, Ive heard of Nineteen Minutes - I should so check it out, its gotten so many rave reviews...though shootings arent my thing...Sad
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 5:09 am

Nova_Zero wrote:
Okay so I finished Haunted 2 days ago and I have to say I just love, love loved it!
a morgue desensitizes you to that kind of thing. Either that or I'm morbid. heh heh.

teehee i thought it was funny. it was a bit ick though. but then i dont have a penis...all the boys seemed to squirm when i told them Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 5:39 am

What's Haunted about?
Back to top Go down
Nova_Zer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 1:07 pm

Haunted is...complicated. I'm not very good at explaining stuff but the plot is a frame strory for 23 short stories each beginning with a free verse
poem and it all ties back into the main story.
The main story is about 17 people (each with a nickname reflecting their lifestyle or the story they told like Saint Gut-Free & Earl of Slander)
who decide to go to a sercet writer's retreat. They are to spend 3 months writing a story at which time their host will allow them to leave.
Instead they decide they can make a better story of their suffering while "held captive" inside their retreat and therefore will become rich
after the public discovers their fate. The individuals then begin to sabotage the food and utilities provided to them each unaware that the
others are doing the same until they are forced to struggle to survive.
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 1:17 pm

In simple terms...bunch of writer's sign up for a retreat that turns out to be some disused scabby theatre...they're held hostage there. They think that they can get famous when they leave and get a movie made so they make it hard for themselves by getting rid of food, breaking the heating etc...And you kind of get to know them by the short stories they write.

It is hard to explain...amazon says this:

Quote :
Haunted is a novel made up of twenty-three horrifying, hilarious, and stomach-churning stories. They’re told by people who have answered an ad for a writer’s retreat and unwittingly joined a “Survivor”-like scenario where the host withholds heat, power, and food. As the storytellers grow more desperate, their tales become more extreme, and they ruthlessly plot to make themselves the hero of the reality show that will surely be made from their plight. This is one of the most disturbing and outrageous books you’ll ever read, one that could only come from the mind of Chuck Palahniuk.

but that doesnt do it justice either Razz just read it
Back to top Go down
NightmaresOnWax

NightmaresOnWax

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 5:23 pm

There are so many books that I have to read now, haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2007 5:27 pm

I'm reading Night right now, and so far it's intense. haah. I like it though alott.
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Nova_Zero wrote:

I read Guts (had to Google Haunted just to see what the hell people were fainting at Razz) and I reallyy liked the style of writing.. it's been ages since I read a book so maybe this'll get me back into it.
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
asoftrevolution

asoftrevolution

Number of posts : 979
Name : Kat
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2007 1:18 pm

Oh my god... I can't choose.

Umm, I loved the Abhorsen triology by Garth Mix. Most realistic fantasy I've ever read, and I dunno, I just loved it.

I absolutly LOVE The Perks of Being a Wallflower..umm...

Flowers for Algernon! Makes me cry everytime.

I just read The Historian and it was amazing. If you like good vampire stories (but it doesn't have a lot of sex) and European history, this is like the perfect book. I'm trying to find a book that's similar to this one, because...it was amazing!

I loved Fight Club, and I'm currently trying to get my bf to loan me Choke and then Haunted...

*scurries off to write down a must-read list*
Back to top Go down
baablack

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2007 7:55 pm

The Perks of Being a Wallflower-Awesome
The Catcher In The Rye-I carry my copy with me everywhere

The Wanting Seed- very good book

A Clockwork Orange- is good to but dont read unless you know Nadsat or can use context clues very well.

The Coming Anarchy-its about political stuff in Africa buts its really intresting

Johnny Got His Gun.- Its an amazing book I love love it.

Traplines- its a few short stories in one book but I like them

Lord of the Flies- a very good classic

and some good philosophy would be anything by Voltaire or Nietzsche.

The geeky side of me must say the X-Men comic books (personaly I'd say the X-Men Essential Vol.1)

But wow there is so much more.

Really you should read Johnny Got His Gun. I'm reading it for the second time and I'm just in love with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2007 7:58 pm

What's Johnny Got His Gun about?
Back to top Go down
NightmaresOnWax

NightmaresOnWax

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2007 7:59 pm

ooohh, Ive been wanting to read a clockwork orange. Man, do I need more time to do things for myself and not for effing school....
Back to top Go down
baablack

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Johnny Got His Gun is about this guy who fought in World War 1 and lost all communication to world because he was blown up & lost his arms, legs, eyes, mouth, nose, and hearing. It also tells about his life and what he thinks. I can't really tell you how amazing it is. You should read it for yourself.

Intresting fact:
It was wrote in 1938 first printed 2 days after the start of World War 2. So it's been banned a few times because of war.
Back to top Go down
loveme4w

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2007 3:20 am

Beep! Read Can't get there from here by Todd Strasser. It's by the same guy who wrote Give a Boy a Gun (which I am going to go find and read Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite book   Favourite book - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite book
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next