The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.

Go down 
+2
TOONRULESOK
girloflowers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
girloflowers

girloflowers

Number of posts : 1510
Name : Lily
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. Empty
PostSubject: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm

So since I just started makeup school, obviously they're giving us a kit.(not literally giving, we all paid for it, but whatevs.)
We're getting it bit by bit, and I thought it'd be helpful for anyone else looking to get into makeup if i posted everything on here, cos I know i was (and still am) struggling to think what the HELL I'd need, where to buy it, what works etc. I'll include everything, right down to alcohol wipes for cleaning tweezers and surfaces, and my mini first aid kit.
However since I haven't yet got everything, this thread will be regularly updated as i buy or recieve more.

Here is what I have so far:
Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. Foundationz
These are the foundations which we all get in our kits. An RCMA palette of cream foundations. These are very nice, can be thinned if you prefer a more liquid texture, and having all the colours is really handy for highlighting and contouring. HOWEVER because I wish to work on everyone from whitest white to blackest black the colours do not go dark enough, in my humble opinion.
Also pictured are small squeezy bottles of MAC Face and Body foundation in C1, C2, C3, C4 and C5. Again, a decent range, but for anyone darker than my indian friend Gayatri, I'd be shit out of luck.
Alsopictured are two Ben Nye lip pencils (nude and red) which are quite decent from swatching (yes i cleaned them after!) and some eyeliners, which likewise seem quite nice.
We also got a black and a brown cake liner from Ben Nye, however never having used these before i can't tell you much about them, yet, except that another MUA friend of mine says they flake after a while.

Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. Hygienestuffetc
WOO hygiene stuff! I'll take a neater photo later, of everything in my kit, but for now live with this hot mess.
Pictured are:
Large and small bottles of Cetaphil(I keep the little ones in my kit, and the big ones at home to refill them)
A megton of green Huggies baby wipes. Fragrance free and very gentle.
Small scissors (for cutting false eyelashes etc)
Good quality tweezers (not tweezerman, can't afford those right at the moment.)
Zip Loc bags for putting.. well... all kinds of things in.
Disposable spatulas, mascara wands and lip wands
Alcohol swabs
Spray bottle for hair, and another for 70% alcohol
a bottle of isopropyl(70%) alcohol which is now in the aforementioned spray bottle.
a sharpener.
Back to top Go down
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:15 am

Ooh this is very insteresting!! Is the ben nye stuff nice? give more information when you get them!! im so curious about it =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missigocommando
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 am

Good idea Lil Smile

Ben Nye lip pencils are amazing. They have a beautiful consistency, but are easy enough to remove if you mess the line up. They stay really well if the lip area is moisturised, too.
Back to top Go down
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 am

ah that's good to know, because they aren't *too* expensive are they?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missigocommando
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:04 pm

i really wish there was a place in edinburgh that you could buy stage/artistry palettes and stuff.. i'd love to have one like yours with all the foundations and concealers! so practical.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Ben Nye lip pencils are niiiice. And you're right lily....you couldn't even TRY to mix shades in that palette to match someone that's my shade, let alone anyone darker! Sad
Back to top Go down
ninibaby

ninibaby

Number of posts : 4220
Name : Stephanie
Registration date : 2007-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:02 pm

*late post, ooposie!*

yeah, I hate that!
do they sell a separate palette for darker tones or is that it? cos that's really unfair

anyway, I can't wait to see the rest!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.   Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit. Empty

Back to top Go down

Info on building a basic Makeup and Hair kit.
Page 1 of 1