The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Golden Compass

Go down 
+5
gill
Kirsty
Gloomyjewel
witch_lilly
Le_Saboteur
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 12:48 am

I'm really really really really really really excited for this to come out. I'm in the process of reading all three books again. Even if the movie ends up disappointing me, at least I have my books :]
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 1:36 am

What's it about?
Back to top Go down
bella_fa

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 7:33 am

Oooh I'm so excited about this! I loved the books. I'm not too sure about casting Daniel Craig... I imagined him to be older. And I don't understand why they changed the title. Oh well. Still, I want to see it so bad!
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am

http://imdb.com/title/tt0385752/

Ahhhhh! I can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 2:04 am

Whoa, crazy. I didn't even know this was coming out.

I never really got into reading this book (here it's called the Northern Lights), but I loved The Subtle Knife during the early years of high school. I should probably take some time and read them all.

The girl playing Lyra looks a bit young from what I see, though. Eh. They are just pictures, I guess. Man, fantasy movies aimed at kids/teenagers have been flooding the market recently. Thanks alot, Narnia.
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 2:53 am

dude lyra was UUBER young in the books Razz

IM SO EXCITEDEXCITEDEXCITED

i love those books Smile

though.. they are wierd and changed the title
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 3:09 am

Was she? I thought she was like nine? That girls looks even younger.

Hey, I read them like six years ago, I can make mistakes!
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 3:35 am

wow actually i can't really remember either now :/
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 5:52 pm

She's maybe a little older than eleven, says the book, but it also says she's supposed to look young for her age, whatever that may be.
Back to top Go down
witch_lilly

witch_lilly

Number of posts : 908
Name : Ruth
Registration date : 2007-03-28

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Aug 15, 2007 5:05 am

OMG. I just saw the trailer for this last night.

It looks freakin amazin!

<object><param></param><param></param></object>

I totally loved the books. I can't wait to see the demons and armoured bears n witches! The books totally had everything!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 am

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!! Only about a month or so to go!!!
Everyone seemed to friggin ADORE LOTR,
and the only reason I didn't like LOTR is cus I wasn't really a huge fan of the plot and couldn't really follow it either ( :/ ), but the cinematics were amazinggg so
this should be awesome!

I think Daniel Craig totally fits the character, I'm not really sure about Lyra cus isn't she supposed to be a bit more scruffy at the beginning? Anway

OH MY GOD I"M SO EXCITED!!!
*dies*
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
Kirsty

Kirsty

Number of posts : 8159
Name : Kiki, Kirsty
Registration date : 2007-03-25

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 12:12 pm

Le_Saboteur wrote:
Whoa, crazy. I didn't even know this was coming out.

I never really got into reading this book (here it's called the Northern Lights), but I loved The Subtle Knife during the early years of high school. I should probably take some time and read them all.

The girl playing Lyra looks a bit young from what I see, though. Eh. They are just pictures, I guess. Man, fantasy movies aimed at kids/teenagers have been flooding the market recently. Thanks alot, Narnia.

is that the americans renaming books again? the country of the "soceror's stone" *sigh*

hehe anyhoo i started reading this a few years ago and never got into it. i might start trying it again later. if i can find it.

isnt this the movie that they had auditions for on newsround or something? i remember them coviering it/
Back to top Go down
http://misskirsty.blogspot.com
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Yup, it sure is those damn renaming americans again!
I don't really understand why they couldn't leave it as northern lights confused2
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 4:24 pm

I was excited about the movie until i read the book and saw how many anti-catholic references were made. I also don't like the fact that the author says that "God must die" thats just immoral to me. i was going to see it but not now that i know the truth.
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 6:04 pm

^ That seems silly to me. The plot may be good even if you don't agree with the authors opinions. I've never read the book.

My sister auditioned for the part of Lyra though. Smile
Back to top Go down
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 8:29 pm

I think the books are really boring..they're my boyfriends favourite though..but I saw a trailer for the film the other day at the cinama and it looked amazing..so I shall be going to see it..it looks like a good Christmassy movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 8:45 pm

ali-cat wrote:
I was excited about the movie until i read the book and saw how many anti-catholic references were made. I also don't like the fact that the author says that "God must die" thats just immoral to me. i was going to see it but not now that i know the truth.

I've never read the books, but are they ACTUALLY anti-catholic references? And "God must die" would be a CHARACTER saying that, not necessarily what the author believes.

Here is an interview with the author: "Pullman Not Promoting Atheism"
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 9:08 am

I didn't find them very anti catholic.. Although I did read it ages ago. Yeah it was definitely a very different take on god and stuff but I didn't find it offensive or anything.
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

Number of posts : 2469
Name : Kayla
Registration date : 2007-07-01

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 8:37 pm

I just finished reading it. I loved the book, the movie better not dissapoint me.

Anyway, as for the anti-Catholicism stuff, I don't really think the author meant for it to be that way. The world that the story is set in is different from ours. The church had a lot of power, and there's always the "heretics" trying to disprove or prove their own beliefs in that form of society. I'm not trying to be aggressive or anything, but all I'm saying is that its a fantasy novel. Harry Potter wasn't exactly the most Catholic book, and look at how huge it is.

And from what I remember, the words "God must die" never appeared in the book.
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Yeah, it is a completely different world. And also, unless he was obviously saying anti-catholic stuff, as in actually directing it at catholics/their beliefs etc I don't think there's any problem. As Kayla mentioned HP isn't Catholic, but it also isn't really any other religion/anti-any other religion.

I had a clear point but it kind of blurred haha
Back to top Go down
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Gloomyjewel wrote:
Yeah, it is a completely different world. And also, unless he was obviously saying anti-catholic stuff, as in actually directing it at catholics/their beliefs etc I don't think there's any problem. As Kayla mentioned HP isn't Catholic, but it also isn't really any other religion/anti-any other religion.

I had a clear point but it kind of blurred haha

The author was referring to ANY religion that had it's hand in politics. An example he gave in an interview was the Taliban.....so it's NOT religion or Catholicism, it's any dictatorship run by a religion that he has a problem with. Which, personally, I think is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Kirsty

Kirsty

Number of posts : 8159
Name : Kiki, Kirsty
Registration date : 2007-03-25

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Dec 19, 2007 4:52 am

ok so did anyone see this?
i saw it about two weeks ago and i really liked it! i was a bit apprehensive because i couldnt get into the book and thought it might be boring but i really liked it.

im reading the book now.

um...maybe just me but i heard no mention of god must die or major anti-religion stuff. obviously there is the powerful government (magisterium...?) and the church have a lot of power and some people are against it but its not an anti-religion thing. its a "the church is super powerful so obviously some people are against them and their ways" thing really. so...thats bollocks >.< either way it was a bloody good film Razz
Back to top Go down
http://misskirsty.blogspot.com
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Dec 19, 2007 5:33 am

Jerry is really excited about this movie; we may be seeing it today. He loves the idea of a movie talking about the general idea of God and his death, haha. I'll def read the book sometime.
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 am

It was really good but if you've read the book you will be hugely disappointed with the ending.
I think they're saving the end so that Will and Lyra can enter the other world at the same time.
Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass EmptyWed Dec 19, 2007 3:26 pm

it hasn't come out here yet but i wanna see it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Golden Compass Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golden Compass   The Golden Compass Empty

Back to top Go down

The Golden Compass
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cupcake Mafia! :: Entertainment :: Tv & Movies-
Jump to: