The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bright hair dyes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
paleogrl

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 am

Does anyone really like some bright hair dyes that worked well for you? I'm especially interested in ones that will give bright red/orange hair that will last. Also any hair bleaches, although I may get that done by a professional so I don't melt my head off. Thankies!
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 10:57 am

permanent; Special Effects,

semi permanent/temporary; Manic Panic.

Special Effects lasts a lot longer, and it has rave reviews from EVERYONE. Manic Panic's pinks and blues are good, but the rest of their colours, you have to WORK to keep up.

Puffy has spoken. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 11:39 am

ARGH! Manic Panic makes me insane. Special Effects is weird though, I know people who it won't work on at all, but for a few days, and my mom and a few other people, they can last for a year. The long lasting ones are purple and pink and blue doesn't last at all.
It all depends on the colours...
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Number of posts : 1384
Name : Jessie
Registration date : 2007-03-31

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 am

I've been doing my hair crazy colors since I was 14, and the best dye by far is Special Effects, its lasts a really long time, and it also comes in about 4 different reds so I'm sure you can find one you like. I used to use Manic Panic, but I found the color would start to fade after only 2 washes! It also fades unevenly.

As for bleach, I use Blondissima, and it makes my dark brown roots platinum blonde in about 20 min. I wouldn't reccomend using the bleach kits you can get through Manic Panic or Special Effects, they don't come with conditioner so your hair ends up feeling crunchy! Just make sure you wait till after you do the bright color to put the conditioner in or the color won't stick.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Plthub

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 11:02 pm

I can once again second Special Effects.

Their reds last FOREVAR.

In my opinion, bleaching is something worth getting done by a professional.
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 pm

L'oreal Excellence HiColors
6 bucks at Sally's
last for fucking ever!!!!!!!!!!
I watched a mexican girl go from pitch black to bright ass orange with no prelightening in less than 40min!!!!

they have a ton of red shades as well a 3 really really bright highlighting color (copper, magenta, red) the highlighting colors are no different than the regular ones...there's just less of the product
i mixed their Red Hot Red and the Magenta and came out with this amazing color
or something similar...it may look different on your computer
Back to top Go down
paleogrl

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 9:12 am

thanks everyone for responding! Rachel, I think you're right, I'm going to probably get my hair bleached by a professional. I've never done it before, and I don't want to risk messing up my hair badly. I'm going to research all of these dyes I think. yay! I love dying hair! woop
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 10:58 am

Yeah. Bleach is no fun, especially the powder stuff in your eye.
Owwy.
Back to top Go down
thearist

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 5:46 am

Ooh, go orange!! hehe, sorry, i have an unhealthy obsession with orange hair!! sooooo, gorgeous!! napalm orange by special effects is amazing!

Will you post pics?
Back to top Go down
Plthub

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 6:17 pm

Oh my goodness Kate! O_O You got the powder bleach in your eye?

Holy mother of pearl! That must've hurt like crraaaazzzyyy.

On a side note, the longest lasting red hair dye I ever used was Blood Red by Special Effects.

Have you guys ever visited www.haircrazy.info? I used to get all my hair dye information from there!
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 10:33 am

I love hair crazy, I could spend hours just looking at the photos applause

And bleach powder in the eye, its making me shiver just thinking about it Shocked
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm bleaching my very dark brown hair today for the first time so that I can dye it pink (cupcake pink by Special Effects ^_^).

I bought a bleach kit that is 40 volume. Is it okie to use on my scalp? or would that burn it??
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 1:23 pm

As long as you mix it proparly. Although, your head might be different from mine so you should probably do a patch test first. Also if your'e doing cupcake pink you might want to get toner?(the stuff that takes the yellow out) I have very dark hair too, so when I bleach it theres still alot of yellow left in it. I tried to do cupcake pink once and it had this weird yellow undertone. I think it would look alot better if your hair is practically white underneath.
Back to top Go down
witch_lilly

witch_lilly

Number of posts : 908
Name : Ruth
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Prelighten it first.

I use stargazer foxy red
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I really like it. I always leave it in longer than the recommended time like 1 hour. Also I use Vo5 Fade Defy daily colour lock. It works really well and keeps the colour in longer.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 1:58 pm

pinkhaired wrote:
Also if your'e doing cupcake pink you might want to get toner?(the stuff that takes the yellow out) I think it would look alot better if your hair is practically white underneath.

Oh god I'm going to end up killing my hair.....

Bleaching for two hours, then toning it to WHITE, and THEN dying it pink.... plus I straighten mostly everyday..... oh man.

What's a REALLY REALLY REALLY good conditioner that's safe for colored hair??
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 2:19 pm

umm...you shouldn't leave bleach on for two hours...it's going to very literally melt your hair

mixing it properly has nothing to do with weather or not it will burn
the bleach should say whether or not it's for on or off scalp application

toning won't damage your hair and neither will the dye your using because it is not a permanent dye(your not using developer, it's coating not penetrating the hair)

you get a blue(if your hair turns more orange) violet(if it turns more yellow) and in some cases bleached hair will turn green, in this case you use red and you only mix it with 5 or 10 volume developer and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes

also before you dye it with the pink, use a pH balanced shampoo
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 2:44 pm

I used to use the Manic panic bleach and it took about 2 hrs. But like I said before its all about Blondissima, my roots go platinum in 20 min, the rest of my hair about 30 min and the conditioner that comes with it is awesome. As for a regular everyday conditioner, I would reccomend Dove for colored hair, I'm not sure if the one I use is also for damaged hair. I think it is. Anyway its really good.
Back to top Go down
Plthub

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Well it's important to mix the powder and developer super well because if there's any little chunky bits then you're going to get a blotchy, fried bleach job. Beware, when bleaching your roots lighten the fastest.

I second the toning. In my experience Cupcake Pink fades a bit faster than the other Special Effects dyes so it's a good idea to use a purple toner to cancel out the yellowness. Personally, I think Atomic Pink is a way longer-lasting pink if you're willing to go for something a little more neon.
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 3:44 pm

I often do atomic pink and it only ever looks yellowish after about a month and a half, at which point I really need to dye it again anyway. You could always mix the two to get a pink lighter than atomic pink but dark enough to cover the yellow undertone. I often mix my dyes and it always turns out good.
Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 9:04 pm

Plthub wrote:
Well it's important to mix the powder and developer super well because if there's any little chunky bits then you're going to get a blotchy, fried bleach job.

i agree with that...but i was just saying that the way you mix it doesn't determine if the bleach is ok to use on your scalp

some bleaches are harsher than others and will burn you

i was rinsing a girls after doing off scalp bleach highlights and accidentally got some on my arm it left an ugly patchy burn for a few weeks...it felt like being bitten by fire ants ahhh it was horrible
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bright hair dyes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bright hair dyes?   Bright hair dyes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bright hair dyes?
Page 1 of 1