The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Zits that don't disappear...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
psychedelic_

Number of posts : 347
Name : Mary-Ann
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Zits that don't disappear... Empty
PostSubject: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 am

So I've been breaking out all year because of stress. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that my zits don't disappear. They sort of just shrink and then stay there.

Like this:
Spoiler:

Pimple cream used to work but this year it doesn't. In fact some pimple creams actually cause this to happen. Now basically every single pimple that appears never goes away.

The annoying thing is that I never used to get pimples so this saddens me! SadSadSad

Why does this happen?

More importantly, what should I do?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Oh. That's cystic acne. You should get a creamy exfoliating cleanser and make sure you moisturize properly...

If you'd like I can bust out my text book and see what other advice they may have. Razz
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Cysts in terms of cystic acne is usually more like a nodule filled with pus, and quite large (more than 5mm or so I think).

Honestly, go to a dermatologist (I should do the same!). I get the same thing. If you have a history or rosacea in your family, it could be that (mine is, and it looks very similar). Or it could just be papules, which can usually be treated with something like benzoyl peroxide- although that doesn't work for everyone. Again, though, if it's causing you too much drama just see a dermatologist.

None of this stuff is caused by bad hygeine, it's more likely it's either in your family, or stress is making you overproduce oil. Unfortunately mine has got worse as I aged too :/

ETA: Acne creams are often super freaky drying, so if you have normally dry skin like me it can be more trouble than its worth (2.5% bzp CANED my skin). So make sure you have lots of moisturiser!
Back to top Go down
psychedelic_

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 am

Puffy: Will a daily scrub help? Or are scrubs and exfoliators the same thing?

Kendra: I used 10% benzoyl peroxide at the beginning of the year and it seemed to have caused the first never-disappearing pimple. I used it on a few other pimples after and all of them refused to budge. And when I don't use pimple creams, most go away quite nicely.

Am I just really unlucky?
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Irritation itself can stir up acne on a lot of people, and BZP can be very irritating! 10% is a hella high dosage for a LOT of people though, especially if you've never used it before. Yeowch.

It ain't luck honey, it's body chemistry. A lot of people have similar problems, and tbh, all you can do is keep trying- unless you have the money to see a dermatologist who can help you sort it out (be prepared for side effects, though)...
Back to top Go down
NightmaresOnWax

NightmaresOnWax

Number of posts : 1676
Name : Mandy!
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I also am in support of going to a dermatologist, however if you try sulfur based masks or soaps you might have more luck. My skin didn't respond to benzoyl peroxide very much either, but I had a sulfur mask from bath and body works that did wonders. Just be careful with whatever you put on your face, anything medicated is going to dry your skin out a lot and create more problems.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mandy.berthold
psychedelic_

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:28 am

Hmm, it does seem kind of silly to use 10% bzp right? But my brother bought the pimple cream and I was too cheap to get a milder one. Razz I haven't come across any sulphur-based products in stores here, but I'll keep a look out for them!

I don't know if my mom'll let me go to a dermatologist because it doesn't look very serious or life-threatening. I'll take your advice and keep trying though! Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 am

Be careful with anything sulphur based, you COULD be allergic. And if it's rosacea, then it can make it worse.

Drink LOTS of water, and try going makeup-free as often as possible, rinsing your face with a tepid water 3 times a day, on top of properly washing and treating it.

Also try a mask made of oatmeal (ground finely), beaten egg and honey. This can bring down inflammation, and help absorb excess oil.
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zits that don't disappear...   Zits that don't disappear... Empty

Back to top Go down

Zits that don't disappear...
Page 1 of 1