The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Poetry.com wanting to publish me?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Poetry.com wanting to publish me? Empty
PostSubject: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 am

Has anyone else had poetry.com want to publish them in books and crap? So I submitted a verse to them because, well actually, I was getting an offer from another site to submit it and you'd get 3$ for doing it or something...and anyways, it ended up winning. I got a letter awhile back saying it was going to be published in some book, and then of course them urging me to buy the book. Anyways, opened up my mailbox last week to find another letter from them saying it got Editors choice or some crap. Supposidly it's to be featured in another book and read on a CD set with my permission if I sign my name and mail it back or some crap. Well, the editors choice award is nothing more than a half a piece of paper which I'd bother to frame if I wasn't lazy but yeah like on the piece of paper it has a thing copied that says like, "Howard, Brittany's piece was an exceptional bla bla I'd consider it for editors! -J.T" or some crap...Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them before and know if it's probably real handwriting or just crap they typed up. I'm assuming it's real and just copied onto the letter given to me but yeah...poetry.com's letters confuse the F**K out of me. and I didn't mean to even submit this damn verse. And like I love writing and everything but if I'm getting published, I'd kind of like to be paid for it. LOL.

xo~ Like a Star @ heaven
Britt
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:05 am

usually, for an author, getting published is more than enough - and dont worry, poetry.com is legit.
Back to top Go down
loveme4w

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:06 am

Yeah, I've had that.
Lol it's pretty crap I think.
Overpriced and not that great.
They kept giving me offers for a while, but they all cost ME paying money and not really getting payed for my poetry, so I ignored them and eventually got my email taken off the mailing list.
Don't pay for anything I say Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 am

Well, getting published IS pretty awesome and brag worthy and definately enough in many ways...like loveme, I'm just peeved @ all the pushiness towards buying their expensive books.

And I do believe it's legit, I'm just confused on the whole process I guess. Like it just seemed TOO easy to get published...kind of like so many people do? I don't know.
Back to top Go down
loveme4w

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 am

mm thats what i thought about it, that its not really special cause alot of people get the chance. i know of 2 people in my life that have also gotten the offers and i submitted this CRAPPY poem once just to test them and the poem was like complete with horrid spelling and grammar and they still wanted to publish it.
i dont know... it just seems a bit dodgy.
Back to top Go down
Smile St

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, I don't really think Poetry.com is all that great. They published a poem I wrote in fifth grade. :\
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Same here. That's why I'm just question it all, because although it is "poetry.com" haha it seems their standards aren't very high and I'd rather my work get recognized elsewhere. Ahhh the punishment I now face for simply wanting to earn 3$ by submitting a verse...which, all I did was copy/paste one of my shortest poems cause I figured then it wouldnt get in hah.
Back to top Go down
Smile St

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Well, if you want your work recognized you can always try entering different writing contests and things. There are always loads of those things going on, from local stuff on up. Aaaand you can win money. Very Happy Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
psyche

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 10:44 am

oh gosh. listen, poetry.com is not what i would consider ... something to put on your resume, if you get what i mean. my advice to you is to submit to real journals and magazines, something to build your portfolio with. don't waste your time with poetry.com

some very good advice i got recently came from george looney. he told me to consider the readership of what you're submitting to. if you have confidence in your work, then you have a responsibility to yourself and your writing to find a publisher whom you have absolute confidence in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poetry.com wanting to publish me?   Poetry.com wanting to publish me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poetry.com wanting to publish me?
Page 1 of 1