The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
electrikkk

electrikkk

Number of posts : 1634
Name : Megan, Meggles
Registration date : 2007-04-25

Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? Empty
PostSubject: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Ok, so I'm my schools theatrical makeup artist, and in about two months, we will be putting on Beauty and the Beast. I was told I can do whatever I want for the Beast makeup, I just need to tell them and they'll order it for me. I really want to try latex or prosthetics, but I'm not sure! Do any of you ladies have any personal experience working with either of these?

Last edited by electrikkk on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 pm

admittedly I don't! howeverrr....I'm sure there's some YT tuts that can give you an idea of what to do! if they have avatar MU then surely they have prosthetic MU too!
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Wait. By prosthetics do you mean a pre-made up piece that you can glue on? I would recommend that BY FAR if you've never done any of this before. It's usually made of foam latex.

As for latex itself, there is foam and liquid. Foam is harder to work with, as it has to be baked. You need to do so much prep for latex it is insane (make a negative mould of the persons fast, then make a positive from that, then build on what you want with clay, then make a mould of that, and THEN you paint/pour the latex in).

I would definitely recommend a pre-made piece. It is really quite intense.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you~ :3
Back to top Go down
electrikkk

electrikkk

Number of posts : 1634
Name : Megan, Meggles
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Oh man, see, I have no idea what I should do! Probably whatever is easiest, considering I've never worked with any of this before. That pre-made up piece sounds good, what exactly would it be? Do those have different brands/types, and would you have any recommendations? I mean, I know there are kits out there for this musical, which may be a good idea? gaaah. i'm really excited for this though, because I want this to look really amazing and well put together. thanks for helping girls! ^___^

EDIT: I've been searching on YT and google for about an hour and I'm not finding a whole lot. bleh. i've found two full face foam latex pieces, which look pretty good, but are close to $100, which I'm not sure if my directors would go for. I think it's going to be damn near impossible to make the guy look good though, w/o some sort of fake face piece, be it the chin/nose/forehead.
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Oh jeez, sorry about not replying for so long!

A premade piece, if it's good quality will most likely be foam latex (squishy). If it's lesser quality it will be completely hollow and be liquid latex. The liquid latex pieces (they're super rubbery) will not last anywhere near as long, and usually only last one application- because of the adhesives- spirit gum and prosthetic adhesives- and removers you have to use to get it off, they usually pull it too much and they can't take it. Foam latex pieces should go the distance, even though you use the same products (usually). Yeah, $100 sounds about right. It's a very intense process to make the foam so it's always going to be expensive Smile

I've never actually noticed specific brands before, sorry!

Umm, another way would be buying fake hair and sticking around parts of the face (cheeks, chin) and just painting the entire face? That should cost a lot less, but you'd still have to find the hair from somewhere. Is there a theatre supplies store near where you live? Try and check it out (or get your tutor/director/head of department) to do it :3

Honestly, it might even be better to get a full mask if you can! It will probably be the same price and it could very well last longer than any prosthetic piece.

I hope that helps some!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?   Beauty and the Beast stage makeup? Empty

Back to top Go down

Beauty and the Beast stage makeup?
Page 1 of 1