The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Synthetic Dreadlocks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
thearist

Synthetic Dreadlocks Empty
PostSubject: Synthetic Dreadlocks   Synthetic Dreadlocks EmptyTue May 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi! I set up this topic on the last forum, but I'd much like to continue with it!

Someone posted a link to an awesome site on dreads, I can't remember who though...if it's you, pleeeeease post the link again!

Could any of you reccomend a material for dreads that will not get too heavy when wet? I heard wool is a good option? also, any tips on keeping the dreads tidy, where to buy them etc? and how long can they be kept in for without getting too messy?

Any advice would be cool!

thanks x
Back to top Go down
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Dreadlocks   Synthetic Dreadlocks EmptyTue May 15, 2007 3:36 pm

might have been me..can't remember..but site that helped me alot is: http://quinnster.fqdn.net/

my dreads were synthetic hair, I had 45 double ended dreads, they were quite light..but did get heavy when wet..as a result they only got washed once a week..the rest of the time i f'breezed them..I was also too scared to go swimming with them in..which was one of the reasons i took them out, cause i love swimming..]

mine could last 3 months (any longer than that and the roots start dreading) but i took them out after like a month cause they got a bit messy..but you can put them back in whenever.

wool is alot lighter..ive made Colinette and roving wool dreads before but it was for an art project so i've not actually worn them..

Colinette is good cause you just use it as its bought..no hassle..with roving you buy raw, unspun wool and roll it..this takes a wee while..

hmm..buying them..well my dreads were made and installed by a girl who lives near me..lots of folk do this (mostly student) so ask around your area and im sure you'll find someone.
but i made my own from synthetic hair i bought from a hairdressers shop too..lot of backcombing and sealing with heat..took aaages but its quite satisfying and obviously cheaper than getting it done professionally.
wool is available from well..wool shops..lol..for colinette dreads you need 4-5 skeins of Colinette .5 for a full headful.

It all depends on what look your going for. personally i like synthetic hair, just cause they look more real..

and for maintanance, heres a site that sell alot of good products and has some good tips:
http://www.knottyboy.com/
it goes without saying the better care you take of your dreads, the longer you'll have them..

Gosh, sorry, this has been a bit of a marathon..if you need any more information about puting them in or anything then gimmie a shout..hope thats some help
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
thearist

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Dreadlocks   Synthetic Dreadlocks EmptyTue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Hey, thanks so much once again! you really covered it all there hehe, i'll track down some colinette stuffs! I too am a swimmer so am looking for something light!

Thank youuuu x
Back to top Go down
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Dreadlocks   Synthetic Dreadlocks EmptyTue May 15, 2007 4:02 pm

no bother! just be sure to check the kind of dye thats been used on the wool..you don't want the colour running in the pool!

*sigh* i miss my dreads..i hate having to look presentable while job hunting..
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Dreadlocks   Synthetic Dreadlocks Empty

Back to top Go down

Synthetic Dreadlocks
Page 1 of 1