The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good brand of nail varnish??

Go down 
+3
Beb82
Kirsty
Gloomyjewel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Good brand of nail varnish?? Empty
PostSubject: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm

I have a few different colours of nail polish. They're bright and nice looking. But my problem is even if I put them on hours before bed, I end up getting these lines in them from putting my hands under the pillow when I sleep or something. You know when you leave your arm or leg or hand on a textured carpet/fabric too long and you end up with the pattern indented onto you when you get up? Like that. Then I have to take off and redo the ones that got smooshed. It's a pain.

So can anyone recommend a fast drying, hard wearing nail polish that isn't too expensive and looks good???
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
Kirsty

Kirsty

Number of posts : 8159
Name : Kiki, Kirsty
Registration date : 2007-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 2:59 pm

try putting a clear coating over them? or make sure you only put one coat on...ive only had that problem when the nail varnish is really cheap or really thick.

what makes do you use?

all the posh makeup brands are probably good...I like Rimmel 60secs drying thing, Stargazer and Barry M fro bright colours
Back to top Go down
http://misskirsty.blogspot.com
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:05 pm

Yeah I think mine is just crappy brands haha.
My clear stuff is crappy too so I'll have to get some good clear too.. it like, melts into your bottom coat! (WTF!??!)
Off to Superdrug I go..
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:19 pm

make sure you're only using a coat that just covers it...I dont get why all these bottles say like 2-3...you only need the one.

Altho if I paint my nails I leave them all chipped for months.

But yeh barry M is good and so is stargazer (gothy shops usually have it) and they are cheap and have bright colours too
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Unfortunately I have no gothy shops around but my Superdrug still has Barry M. Next time I go to Camden though I can get some stargazer.
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed May 30, 2007 3:26 pm

yup you should. i got a pink from them and i love it. shame its gone all old and congealed now but still. ill buy a new one!

oh maybe try boots number 17 stuff. altho for bright colours, barry m is the best. i shall need to go invest in some for my holidays.

they had neon coloured eyeliner pencils on their site but i never saw them in stores...sad!
Back to top Go down
Beb82

Beb82

Number of posts : 1175
Name : Sally

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 10:41 am

Hmm... I'm not sure price you're thinking by not too expensive but I only use OPI (have the display rack n everything!)... it's expensive over here but cheaper on US sites that ship to the UK.

It lasts a minimum of 6 days on me with no chips, when used with a base and topcoat.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 12:59 pm

sally hansen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyThu May 31, 2007 7:31 pm

I do one base coat then two coloured coats then I finish with a top coat. BUT if I'm not careful then I get those liney smudgey things too.

SOAK YOUR NAILS IN COLD WATER WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED PAINTING THEM! For about 5 minutes. That will set the nailpolish and then you won't get the smudgey things!

And I disagree with you Kiki, I think you DO need 2 coats of colour. Two THIN coats that is. Don't do them too thick.

BUT DO THE SOAKING IN COLD WATER THING!!!!! Also, my mum bought this new manicare cuticle oil the other day, and it said on the back of the bottle that if you rub it into your cuticles and all over your nail after you've just painted them then THAT will set the nailpolish.

So there you are! Two options. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyFri Jun 01, 2007 3:27 am

Yeah make sure you only do really thin coats and leave them for about 5 minutes before you put on another layer so they dry properly. If you put thick coats on it never dries properly underneath =]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptySat Jun 02, 2007 10:47 am

PolyphonicThought wrote:
sally hansen.

oh me loves sally hansen I love you
but i don't think it can be purchased in european shops :/
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 pm

My favorite is Milani. They just came out with some new neon shades too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 9:56 pm

I like Milani colours, alot, but.. it always dries funny : \\
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 10:15 pm

lay-chan wrote:
PolyphonicThought wrote:
sally hansen.

oh me loves sally hansen I love you
but i don't think it can be purchased in european shops :/

hm, I think youre right. which is way too bad, cos its the best of the best.

can you purchase avon in europe? they have really good nail polish, too.
Back to top Go down
anjelik_dreamin

anjelik_dreamin

Number of posts : 3440
Name : Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 am

Nail polish doesn't stay long on me. ever. But i'm hardcore clumsy. I need something like...semi permanent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/anjelik_dreamin

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 2:21 am

I LOVE my Sally Hansen Hard as Nails!!!
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 am

Seche Vite - seriously!

It's a top coat that you can paint on even when your nailvarnish is still wet and it dries in seconds.
It doesn't chip easily either.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am

hm. sounds quite worthy.
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 am

yeh its pretty awesome

like you know when you put on a sweater and you get the little pattern from the material?
you just give it a coat of seche vite and whoosh its all nice and smooth again!

i suck at applying polish and waiting for it to dry so it's like a hg for me!
Back to top Go down
scrumdid

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 pm

China Glaze and Opi are aboth AMAZING - they're the hardcore professional use brands, and they rock. Opi has out a new, cute shade that looks like the Tiffany's background colour Smile

It helps if you buff your nails first - make 'em really rough and then do the clear prep-coat. I don't know why, but it totally helps.

Also, put straight-up rubbing alcohol on the buffed nails BEFORE polishing. It gets off all the oils and dirt and toxins that make it hard for the polish to fully adhere to the surface of your nail.

Trimmed cuticles are a MUST.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyThu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 pm

I like OPI even though it's a little expensive, but it works sooo well and they have just about any color you can think of.
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 10:06 am

I've never had any luck with OPI. I really wanted to like it too. Sad
Back to top Go down
Plthub

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm an avid fan of OPI since they're high quality and not overly expensive (around 8 bucks a bottle I think).

And I agree with Jade on the whole soaking your nails in cold water afterwards; it really does help.
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 3:41 pm

My problem was, that every one I've tried looked streaky, and I've never had that happen with anything else. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 4:15 pm

my mom uses OPI "I'm Not Really a Waitress"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of nail varnish??   Good brand of nail varnish?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good brand of nail varnish??
Page 1 of 1