The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First project evar...

Go down 
+2
shadowsforsale
Le_Saboteur
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

First project evar... Empty
PostSubject: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm

... That wasn't easy as piss. For Armageddon (NZ Comic Con or Dragon Con, really) I'm looking at going as Jun from Avatar, not only because it's a badass show, but because Dante Basco (voice of Zuko, one of the main characters) is gonna be there. YAY.

So, I know very little about sewing and don't have enough money to get a basic cheongsam/qi pao made. It's really going to be a fake one, I'm just going to attach trim and cut a piece out of the collar to make it look like it's for real Razz

I'm thinking about doing a basic three panel pattern, with the front as one, and the back in two parts so I can put in a zip up the back. It's sleeveless so no big deal there.

ANYWAY. Like I said I'm a noob so I have a few questions for some of you pros!

1) Bias tape. Do you guys recommend this, or do you think I still need to do facing around the arm holes/neckline?

2) Kinds of stiffening for a small Chinese collar. Is there any kind that you can recommend over another, or is it all pretty much the same?

I'm hoping to take pictures as my first hardcore cosplay (I'm also going as Alyx from Half Life 2, but that's really just clothes Razz). I'll keep you guys posted with my progress.

THANKYOU AND GOODNIGHT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 am

SWEET I LOVE JUN. SO BADASS AND COOL.

1) You could use bias tape, but just to be safe, you should do facing. If you're in a rush, just tape it, but it doesn't take that long to do the facing on just the arms and neck holes. Whatevah, I suggest you do it. YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SAFE.

DANTE BASCO SO JEALOUS. Girl you are SO LUCKY. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks Ally!

AND YES I KNOW. We're totally gonna get a photo with him ($30 well spent). And I've entered a Zuko/Iroh video into the AMV contest... 'Cause I'm cool like that. Anyway, I'm gonna fangirl all up in his face :]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:44 pm

FANGIRL FOR BOTH OF US!!
Back to top Go down
shadowsforsale

shadowsforsale

Number of posts : 3315
Name : Elisabeth, Lisabeth, Lizzy, Liz, Lissa
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 5:09 pm

I tried looking for a picture, but was unsuccessful, so here's my basic tips..

Depends on the style of the cheongsam you're recreating. If the line at the edges is clean, do the facing. If it looks like there's some trim there, or a color change, or you're lazy and can hide it by stitching a decorative trim over it, do the bias tape.

For your interfacing(the stiffener), it depends on the kind of fabric ou end up using. There's iron-on and sew-in, woven, stuff for stretch fabrics, etc.. If you have any doubts, double-check with the store you get your supplies from. They'll be able to lead you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightsunfaeryfun.blogspot.com
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Decided to do the facing, even though I'm not really sure what I'm doing, hahaha. Doing interfacing as well, pretty sure I'm gonna get iron on at this stage... depends how the material (voile? viole? a simple cottony blend sorta material anyway) can take ironing. .

Couldn't find a pattern for a high necked dress anywhere that I could adapt, so I ended up getting a basic slim dress pattern with a jewel neckline, then I'm going to stick the made-up collar onto that.

Thanks for your input too, Lisabeth!

Pattern and pieces (bar the collar) are all cut and I'm gonna start putting it together tomorrow, hopefully. Wish me luck for not sewing my finger to the fabric... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 am

GOOD LUCK! hug
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm

No photos but the dress is about half done... Sewing is so much easier than I thought it would be. I have no idea why I put it off so much before this! All the interfacing is done and I've got the collar all ready to be sewn, all I need to do is sew up the sides, hem and make the belts. Oh, and hand sew on some trim.

Thank you guys so much for your help >.<
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 am

Woo! I can't wait to see it!! woop
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Spoiler:

I'm so happy with it, even if it came out WAY too big (should have done M instead of L -_-). People recognised me!

Oh, and best part? Sean Schemmel (voice of fricking Goku) said I looked really good in my outfit and thought my costume was hot... Hahaha. He probably thought I was a dominatrix or something Very Happy

Moar photos at my photobucket page or Facebook.
Back to top Go down
Alexa Nightmare.

Alexa Nightmare.

Number of posts : 1647
Name : Alexa.
Registration date : 2007-04-15

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 pm

it still looks great kendra, regardless of the size!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/alexisastar
kaylalane

kaylalane

Number of posts : 2469
Name : Kayla
Registration date : 2007-07-01

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Wow, you look foxy. Great job!
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

You look tasty. Your hair is delightful n.n
Back to top Go down
girloflowers

girloflowers

Number of posts : 1510
Name : Lily
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 pm

ooooh very nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First project evar...   First project evar... Empty

Back to top Go down

First project evar...
Page 1 of 1