The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

really, really dumb question.

Go down 
+3
Jayme
electrikkk
kaylalane
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kaylalane

kaylalane

Number of posts : 2469
Name : Kayla
Registration date : 2007-07-01

really, really dumb question. Empty
PostSubject: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:51 am

So I have a bunch of mascaras, and my only problem is, I cant be sure when they're like, empty. Its really tough to tell since my lashes are thick and black as it is. I don't know.

Does anyone know how long an average tube is supposed to last? Or how to tell when its finished? I'm sorry guys, I feel really stupid posting something like this, but you're probably the only ones that would know.
Back to top Go down
electrikkk

electrikkk

Number of posts : 1634
Name : Megan, Meggles
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:55 am

You should throw them out regardless of if they're empty after 2-3 months. Also, around that time, after the mascara dries on your lashes it will get really crumbly and gross. That's how you know.
Back to top Go down
Jayme

Jayme

Number of posts : 3277
Name : Jamie
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 am

lol actually, I just had to buy mascara cuz my was all dried up.
When I went to put it on it just felt sticky, and nothing happened to my lashes, I felt like straining trying to get some coating.
Back to top Go down
http://cat-nose.tumblr.com/
gill

gill

Number of posts : 1367
Name : Gillian
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 11:56 am

I'm guilty of using mascaras faaar too long.
I always have several I switch between..which means I keep them for longer than I should because I have so many.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/thursday-
electrikkk

electrikkk

Number of posts : 1634
Name : Megan, Meggles
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:07 pm

^I do the same thing. ^_^ I have four that I switch between. haha. I'm a mascara whore.
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:32 pm

They say 3 months, but I always go 6-7 at least and I've never had any problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 3:29 pm

^ Same here.

Coming from a make up artist (my tutors), they've said it's all in how you use it. If you wash your face well before applying it, you can use it as long as you're able- until it dries up or starts going crappy or whatever. If you just chuck it on without a proper hygeine routine before hand, all sorts of stuff are gonna be living in it.
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Le_Saboteur wrote:
^ Same here.

Coming from a make up artist (my tutors), they've said it's all in how you use it. If you wash your face well before applying it, you can use it as long as you're able- until it dries up or starts going crappy or whatever. If you just chuck it on without a proper hygeine routine before hand, all sorts of stuff are gonna be living in it.

Eek, I hate the thought of all this bacteria swarming inside my mascara. Thanks for the help guys! I think I have some to throw away...
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:20 pm

^ aw, haha. normally I just freak and throw them out every other allergic reaction. I was guilty of holding on to my lash stylist for about a year; I lost it for a good 4 months or so, and the whole time it was in a cool place - so it hadn't even gone bad! n.n
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I wonder what's considered cool for mascara storing.

So I just was messing around with my big fatty mascara, and it sort of smells weird. But I'm not sure if its the mascara smell and I never noticed it. Help? I don't want to throw that one out. Its my favorite Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 pm

isn't the general rule that if it smells weird, you throw it out?
that's what i've always been told..
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Maybe if you can smell it when you take it out of the tube, without giving it a sniff, it'd be safer to chuck it. Do your other mascaras smell the same?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 pm

I have a drawer for all my makeup, which is where I keep just about everything. I have a little container out on my dresser though, with the basics in it, so when I'm in a hurry, I can grab them, slap them on, and run out the door. I keep one mascara there too, so it'll be done for in another two months, max. But keep your absolute favourites in a drawer, where it won't be exposed to a lot of heat or anything.

If its got a strange scent to it - one that you aren't used to - then generally, its a sign that its gone bad. But if it isn't bothering your eyes or anything, then continue to use it.
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 7:24 am

Le_Saboteur wrote:
Maybe if you can smell it when you take it out of the tube, without giving it a sniff, it'd be safer to chuck it. Do your other mascaras smell the same?

I think if I sniff it first, then I smell it. My lash blast I can smell when it comes out of the tube, but that's definitely the smell of mascara. I think I'll just throw it out. I want to try colossal anyway.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 8:48 am

colossal will be a bit annoying with the first few uses, but once it thickens up [after it comes in contact with air a few times] it will apply better, and won't be as runny. its not the best out there [full n soft = HG status], but is good for everyday wear.
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 am

Hmmm. Might as well give it a try. Thanks for the heads-up on the runnyness.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 am

NP! all maybelline mascaras are like that with the first 3-4 uses, then the formula thickens up. I need to replace my colossal with a waterproof formula now that school is starting...my eyes get super watery so colossal won't be a smart choice -.-
Back to top Go down
kaylalane

kaylalane

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 am

Whatever you do, don't get waterproof lash blast. It stays on your eyes FOREVER. Like, it finally comes off maybe 3-4 days later. And believe me, I've tried getting it off.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 10:35 am

sadly, I did, and I gave it to mum. I only bought it to compare to colossal...and there is no comparison. I don't use CG mascaras anymore solely because they're just TOO difficult to remove, and pull lashes off in the process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: really, really dumb question.   really, really dumb question. Empty

Back to top Go down

really, really dumb question.
Page 1 of 1