The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stop cruel art!

Go down 
+6
pickle
Lindsay
pinkhaired
Beb82
PolyphonicThought
TOONRULESOK
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 12:27 pm

>Photobucket

In 2007, the 'artist' Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, took
a dog from the street,
tied him to a rope in an art gallery, and starved
him to death.

Photobucket

For several days, the 'artist' and the visitors of
the exhibition have
watched emotionless the shameful 'masterpiece' based
on the dog's agony,
until eventually he died.

Photobucket

Does it look like art to you?

Photobucket

But this is not all... the prestigious Visual Arts
Biennial of the Central
American decided that the 'installation' was
actually art, so that
Guillermo Vargas Habacuc has been invited to repeat
his cruel action for the
biennial of 2008.

Photobucket

PLEASE HELP STOP HIM.

Photobucket

It takes a second to help put a stop to animal abuse.

Sign the petition to stop this asshole by going to:

PETITION

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missigocommando
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm

ah yes, I remember hearing about this last year, and being thoroughly annoyed myself. well, I signed it; doubt it'll do much, but we'll have to see.
Back to top Go down
Beb82

Beb82

Number of posts : 1175
Name : Sally
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I've never heard this before... the pictures of the dog made me cry! I've signed it too.
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Number of posts : 1384
Name : Jessie
Registration date : 2007-03-31

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:23 pm

When I click on the link it says its been removed and it was spam. I would really like to sign it, and I can't even see the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:30 pm

pissed off someone should do that to him

I signed twice when I saw your bulletin on myspace though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin
Beb82

Beb82

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:33 pm

http://www.petitiononline.com/ea6gk/petition.html
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks Sally!
I saw the pictures and I just can't believe that everyone is just standing around and drinking wine while that poor dog is starving to death! I would have tried to sneak him out or something.
Back to top Go down
Beb82

Beb82

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 pm

That's what I said... damn the consequences, I would of cut that rope and ran as fast as I could with him!
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 5:36 pm

if you've a facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25015083904
Back to top Go down
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 am

thanks girls. I saw a bulletin from jessica Louise and was just.. shocked. so i thought i'd post it here, sadly my links didn't appear to work though O__o oh well, thanks!
Back to top Go down
pickle

pickle

Number of posts : 368
Name : Ellie
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Haha I don't get the outrage. It's just one dog!
Not to be controversial or anything, and I'm not talking about you guys here, but it annoys me that a lot of people campaign against this, and are outraged at that artist who taxidermied some cats and bunnies and cute little mice a few years back, and also about the CRUEL practise of eating dogs in some countries, yet don't think twice about eating meat. Because they genuinely think that cats and dogs and "cute" animals are on some higher level of existence to any others, almost parallel to humans. Because they're cute, and for no other reason.

Pigs are real cute too, everyone :3

(end rant)
Back to top Go down
xxmissyxx

xxmissyxx

Number of posts : 658
Name : Tarren
Registration date : 2007-06-13

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't agree with it because I fear that if art can claim an animal's life and get away with it... What will people do next in the name of art?

I know that all of our reactions where most definately what the artist was striving for, so they've won. I understand your rant Ellie about meat and all of that, but this dog died for no purpose? It was not used for meat (even though I do disagree with dog and cat meat etc), it was cruely starved to death for absolutely no real purpose. And the artist is going to do it again because the wanker elite artist world approves of it and enjoys it.

I love art as much as the next person, but people like this love to push that line and all boundries... But now it's being blurred between art and murder. It ain't right.

I signed. I can't get my head around animal cruelty especially in what's meant to be art.
Back to top Go down
xxmissyxx

xxmissyxx

Number of posts : 658
Name : Tarren
Registration date : 2007-06-13

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:00 pm

OH and yes I do eat meat, but I eat organic meat, doesn't mean I don't think about a cow or pig the same way I do any other animal. But at least with organic meat I know that i'm not getting something that was put in a room and starved to death.

Sorry, I just can't understand how you can look at the photos of the exhibition and not understand the outrage a lot of people are feeling over this?
Back to top Go down
pickle

pickle

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm not trying to say I don't care or think it's wrong, I just find it hard to get very worked up about it myself. I do see why people are outraged so I was silly to say that. Don't get me wrong, it's horrible that anyone is fawning over this exhibit, it's just cruel shock-art and nothing else. It's wrong and it shouldn't be allowed to continue. I agree with you all totally over that. I just don't see it as a major issue I'd campaign or sign petitions over, you know?

I can't help but feel a bit cynical and think if it was a "meat" animal instead of a dog, there would not be such a large outcry. I can't prove it, but I just get a feeling that's the way it'd go. After all a lot of people still eat very inhumanely produced meat without a care, because it's cheaper and more convenient to them. Animals suffer for us every day, so I don't see that it's reasonable to put such a higher worth on the life of a dog.

Sorry to keep going back to the meat issue, but it's the only comparison I can really make.
It seems to me that most of us do see animals as being either food or friends. I think pretty much all of us make this distinction, me included. I just say it's messed up that popular opinion can be as extreme as to see food animals as being put on earth for our convenience and not worth a care, but sees pets as being a part of the family, for no real reason except we traditionally eat one and live with the other. That said things do seem to be changing a lot towards organic/free range meat, and that is great. I don't think anyone can really see all animals as being completely equal, and that's okay as long as we know that they are all equally worth our respect. Haha that sounds so fruity, but you know what I mean.

I wasn't trying to say "omg everyone who eats meat is a hypocrite for caring about dogs!" which I want to stress by the way cause I might have come off like that. I don't mean to start a pro/anti meat debate or anything. Also sorry for the essay :p
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 am

What I find most disturbing is the fact that Habacuc had the chance to take the dog from the street and try to save its life. Instead he let it spend its last days tied up, surrounded by the smell of food, being looked down upon and pitied.
It's disgusting and plain animal cruelty.
He should be shot.
Back to top Go down
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 am

Apparently the dog was fed between showings, and is alive and well (according to the Gallery owner's public statement). Whether that is true or not, I don't know. Either way, it's STILL cruel to tie a dog up, and put food just out of its reach, whether it's starving or not.
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 9:12 am

Indeed, shauna.

If you aren't fussed, and don't think this is cruel ebcause you eat meat or whatever, then don't join the group or sign the petition, but most of the people who have posted here feel passionately about this, and while i don't disagree with expressing your opinion, i think you should understand that this is cruelty to animals, ignoring all other outside argumetns about stray dogs/eating meat/whatever else. even if it didn't happen, it could have, and becayse it is cruel, and that is the only reason i posted it, i think it's worth taking the risk of it being true/false and joining the facebook group/signing the petition anyway.
Back to top Go down
pickle

pickle

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 am

Okay, you guys need to NOT freak out over everything you see in your inbox. Look it up on snopes first at least (which I should have done too about this one, I came back here because I just saw their article about this in my rss)
Here is the link- http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp
Like Shauna says, the gallery states the dog did not die and was not really starved. Yeah it's still cruel to use a dog for an exhibit, but it happened 6 months ago, actually is not going to happen again, and there's nothing you can do, or need to do about it. I don't think it was shock-art any more, looking at the artist's message I think he kind of has a point.
Signing an internet petition or joining a facebook group will do nothing, because no-one with any power or influence will EVER look at it.
If you really want to help stray animals, there are lots of things you can do. It isn't as simple as just adding your name to a list though.
Sorry, not trying to be a bitch, but that's how it is.

Okay, I should probably stop posting on this now. You probably all think I'm a huge argumentative bitch, I kinda am I guess. Hope I didn't piss anyone off too much though. Anyway if you pay attention to one thing I tell you, make it be the link to snopes.com the Urban Legend fact-checker. It has gory pictures too :-o
Back to top Go down
Beb82

Beb82

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 11:35 am

There have been several successful online petitions regarding animal cruelty and related issues.

I will never do NOTHING when I can do something, no matter how small the chances of success.
Back to top Go down
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Ellie, no one was freaking out, simply discussing the issue with you so that you can see their point of view.

Also, we're not stupid, we know there are other things we can do, and i, and probably at least a fraction of the people posting on here, also do give to charity and try to help, but you must remember that you can only do as much as you are able to. If i was a multi billionaire I'd fly over and make a hme for all stray dogs and help them, but i'm not, and so all I can do is give money to the cause, and sign a list.

It was something that took seconds to do, and if it does have an effect, those seconds were well worth it, and evn if it dosen't, it's probably helped raise some awareness about it.

The artist DID have a point, but there are always ways to demonstrate it without using a living thing.

All I was trying to say before, was if you don't think it's going to work, don't sign it.
Back to top Go down
hyperventilating

hyperventilating

Number of posts : 1209
Name : Flor, whatever
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 3:12 pm

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago
I find it morbid
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/FlorMantecon
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

To me theres a difference between eating meat and this. I do not think that someone who eats meat is a hypocrite for being pissed about this because the cow or chicken or whatever was not left to starve to death. I know its been disproven and all, but just saying. And also, I'm not saying that there isn't alot of questionable practices that go along with the "meat" industry too.

I guess it just bugs me....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stop cruel art! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stop cruel art!   Stop cruel art! Empty

Back to top Go down

Stop cruel art!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cupcake Mafia! :: Odds & Ends :: Links-
Jump to: