The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is buying this mac set a good idea?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Is buying this mac set a good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Well, next year im off to the academy of makeup right?

so i was ebayin along chilling ot when i saw this
and its half the price (or less) of the one my school sells, is a brand i know is good, and comes with more stuff

here are the ones the academy sells

what do you girls think?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:17 pm

I'd rather the academy one - it looks right gorgeous; plus, you just never know. I dont trust it simply because its only one photo, and not more detailed ones. I'm sure it could possibly be legit, but neh, I just couldn't risk it - especially when I'm paying for the brand name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:19 pm

thing is, it alot cheaper than the academy one.

i guess i could ask for more detailed photos and get her to prove its legit?

its just that it ends tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Jayme

Jayme

Number of posts : 3277
Name : Jamie
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 pm

The price seems right, but again...
It is Ebay...
Back to top Go down
http://cat-nose.tumblr.com/

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm

yeha but if i bought that amunt from a mac store over here it could cost 2 or three times as much due to crappy australian prices
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:35 pm

I think you're better off for another reason:

that kit has no bases, like a wide range of concealors/foundations. at least the other kit has it one upped on that.

I just wouldnt want you to spend money on something that's no good, love.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 pm

well see thats the thing since it's cheaper i could spend the odd $400-500 we save on more foundations/primers/concealers

and maybe even a bigger traincase or luggage thing to put all this stuff in Razz

I'll talk to mum i suppose
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:16 pm

I contacted the seller asking for mooooaar pictures
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Whoa, I wouldn't go with either. The school one being made up of just one brand? There's something wrong, there, almost looks like they're trying to push their own brand or something.

Maybe the MAC one and get your own foundations, like you thought (*chants RCMA*).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:22 pm

wats rcma?

tell me everything you know about whats in your kit Smile

I think i will get the MAC one if mum'll let me, cos it's just such good value, and teamed with all the stuff i already haaaave! yay?
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm

RCMA Foundations are good for bridal (if they need med+ coverage), fashion, photographic and film work. They're generally regarded as the best foundations out there by MAs (along with Cinema Secrets). They last ages, come in one ounce pots- believe me, that's shitloads, and come in a big range of colours.

Only problem with them is, if you have dry skin it can sometimes accentuate it, but it's a heavy cream foundation, you'd find that with most of them. Skin has to be well moisturised first! I think through most Aus stockists it's about $55 a pop, but you can buy them here for US$22.

Edit: I think RCMA stands for Research centre of Makeup Artists- I think! Just some random information. In our kits we got Ivory, KO 1, 3 and 7 and Olive 1 and 3. I would get a darker one, too, if you could. They are expensive, but really good!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm

wai thankyou

i was going to buy a few inglot foundations? yay or nay?

Im adding up rpices as we speak, so faar

course fees+ airbrush+compressor + ACADEMY pro makeup kit= 10,284

course fees+airbrush+compressor+ MAC KIT= 9.792

im looking at different brush kits now.
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Just remember that you don't need to jump in and buy an airbrush and compressor right away! If you want to get into that stuff, sweet, but for most shoots/shows you don't need it!

I was talking to my tutor about it today, she's been doing it for a while (twenty years >.<), and Ms Julie Anne said DON'T DO IT until you know you want to do body painting/prosthetics specifically. You can get just as good coverage with a foundation sponge, and when you first start out, you're not going to be doing high fashion shows or shoots by yourself (if ever). So just like... don't jump in and get something you might not need, 'cause that shit's expensive!

Edit: Wait 'til you're getting the monays from the job, first >.<

Last edited by Le_Saboteur on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm

they're requirements for my course Razz
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:54 pm

O_O

Holy shit. Do you have to buy it from them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:57 pm

i'm going to write a list of questions and ask if i can get stuff from other suppliers.

thing is i'm doing a diplomaof makeup and after that once i ahve the money I'll be taking the elite course too

i fully intend to have ym own makeup line and become the cremem de la creme of makeup artists Razz

NAPOLEON, KEVYN, KISS MY (awesome) ASS.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Le_Saboteur wrote:
Just remember that you don't need to jump in and buy an airbrush and compressor right away! If you want to get into that stuff, sweet, but for most shoots/shows you don't need it!

I was talking to my tutor about it today, she's been doing it for a while (twenty years >.<), and Ms Julie Anne said DON'T DO IT until you know you want to do body painting/prosthetics specifically. You can get just as good coverage with a foundation sponge, and when you first start out, you're not going to be doing high fashion shows or shoots by yourself (if ever). So just like... don't jump in and get something you might not need, 'cause that shit's expensive!

Edit: Wait 'til you're getting the monays from the job, first >.<

I may just buy one when I have everything secured...one thing about being a MUA is having a "thing," and that could really bring in clients.
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:41 pm

I think good artistry generally has more weight than having an airbrush (that sentence looks bitchy, but I don't know how else to word it- it's not meant to be!). I mean, it looks really good, and it does awesome stuff, but you start at the bottom, even when you've spent lots of money on school Neutral Unless you're in a small town, there are going to be lots of experienced MUAs that have all the technology. You've gotta get a good portfolio and reputation under you first before you can get the good stuff by yourself.

Honestly, my opinion is it'd be better to do the airbrushing component of whatever course you want to do and then choose if you want to buy the whole shebang (this is with NZ prices- upwards of NZ$2000 through the school). If it's a good course, they should have that sort of thing for the students to use anyway- ours has 10 for our class of 20 students, so it's pretty good.

Haha, I'm really showing how tight I am with money here, I just don't want any of you girls to jump into anything without putting heaps of thought into it first. Yep.

Edit: It's so awesome how many of us are getting into the makeups. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 pm

the airbrushes+ their compressors only add up to about $900 here, not 2k?

without it i can't do the diploma :/
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm

oh trust me, I'm thinking of taking a whole course for it all. I want to be thoroughly trained before I jump into anything.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Become-A-Professional-Makeup-Artist&id=629818

maybe that will help someone? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:59 pm

hehe i've already read that Smile

im going to try to convince mum to get the mac set, simply because it has more stuffz and is cheaper which means i an go get me some nice foundations and stuff.

and recs of brushsets/rolls?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 pm

I have no idea if you can get them in australia...but Japonesque are the best.

their brushes have NEVER shed for me, and are lasting well through my abuse.

http://japonesque.com/prod_brushes.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:06 pm

hey they lok really cool- but there aren't many in the sets .

also there are no prices there- how much are they?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 pm

you'd have to go to a site like ulta to check out prices, methinks ;-;
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:11 pm

oooor

EBAAAY

im an ebay nut.

nuuut.

ill have a hunt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is buying this mac set a good idea?   Is buying this mac set a good idea? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is buying this mac set a good idea?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next