The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nature themed skirt

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Nature themed skirt Empty
PostSubject: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 am

So, thanks to having Ms Slavin instead of Mr Skelton we're doing a different project instead of the teddy bear one.
I'm not complaining though because it's actually quite good. Smile
We had two options, a playmat, or nature themed winter garment. So I picked the garment.
I want to do a skirt because it's important to show the examiners many different techniques and on a skirt you can easily pile a load of sewing techniques and construction on to it without making it look odd.

Thing is I don't know how I'm going to show the theme on it >_<
I have to do my nature research this weekend and basically if we research say, trees, but then on our garment we decide to do something else we'll have to either lose a load of marks or do the research again to make it look like we used it...

I was thinking perhaps vines (the spooky kind like on the Evanescence DVD cover) and dark woods but also maybe blossoms..

I just think if I hear you lot all kinda brainstorming about how I could show this and that, or other themes that'd be cool, it'd really get my thought process going. It worked with the teddy bear thing!

Maybe a vine pattern embroidered all the way around the hem?? Or should I incorporate the theme through the fabrics I use? Maybe a "waterfall" theme, and then I use blue fabric and make a gathered skirt to show the waves and put brown underneath as the rocks at the bottom?? I really don't know..
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 8:20 am

If i were you on this, i'd do a basic knee length skirt that maybe has a few underlayers to make it a little poofy, and then I'd use applique to put on maybe some trees or whatever in dark colours, so they aren't too in your face, but quite cute.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missigocommando
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 8:27 am

I wanted to just do applique, cus that way I could practically do ANY winter suitable garment I wanted and just sew some nature on lol

but we have to use our questionnaire results and applique was:
A- The most unpopular embellishment
B- The most unpopular way of showing a them on a garment

If I have to I can just change the results.. But my teacher has already seen them and discussed the with me so she might notice Sad

Ooh I could even do some sort of leaf thing.. and use leaf lace.. see, my thought process is already going and I didn't post this long ago! ^__^
Back to top Go down
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 9:03 am

Some inspiration:

Nature themed skirt Greenman_skirt1

Nature themed skirt Treelove2

Nature themed skirt Apronsetfront

Nature themed skirt 20070804_08_LRG

Nature themed skirt 1294811570_44dc4e85ef
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Number of posts : 1384
Name : Jessie
Registration date : 2007-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Does it have to be outwardly nature looking? Or could you do something like fabric made of hemp or bamboo (enviro friendly, from nature ect.) And then just do a design thats wintery looking like an earthy color or just made to be warmer ect. ect....
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Nope it doesn't have to be outwardly nature looking, but it must be part of the design features. Hmm yes I might think about incorporating the fabric into it.. Neat idea..
Back to top Go down
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Number of posts : 1384
Name : Jessie
Registration date : 2007-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Also a tip for the aplique...it works better and lays flatter if you use stitch and tear behind the aplique while sewing it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nature themed skirt   Nature themed skirt Empty

Back to top Go down

Nature themed skirt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cupcake Mafia! :: Arts & Crafts :: Crafts-
Jump to: