The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Otherland series by Tad Williams

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Otherland series by Tad Williams Empty
PostSubject: Otherland series by Tad Williams   Otherland series by Tad Williams EmptyFri Jan 11, 2008 9:50 pm

I just finished reading the first book (City of Golden Shadow) a couple of days ago, and... wow. I generally don't read much science fiction- I'm more of a straight out fantasy girl- but I recently found Tad Williams and thought I'd give it a go anyway.

So, as I said, it's sci fi, and has a kind of cyber punky feel to it. It's set... I think about 60-70 years in the future, where the internet is a massive virtual reality network. You can literally 'plug yourself in' and interact with the net (and with your computer, and other computers that are on the same network) on a neurological level. Depending on the kind of equipment you have, you can completely immerse yourself in VR, in both WoW-esque games, shopping- you can browse virtual stores in sim form and interact with shop assistants as if they were right in front of you, there are even clubs and bars where, once again, if you have the best equipment, you can be fooled into thinking you're really eating or drinking, really drunk or really high as a kite.

The plot revolves around Irene 'Renie' Sulaweyo, a Xhosa/Zulu polytech teacher and a new student of hers, !Xabbu (a Bushman/San). Renie's little brother goes sneaks into the most notorious VR club, Mister J's, and he reacts violently to something he's exposed to and goes into a coma. Renie, obviously upset by this, snoops around a bit to try and figure out what's going on and finds others who have been effected by this club and, most importantly, it's developers, in similar ways. As you've guessed, I'm sure, all hell breaks loose and the shit hits the fan.

It also follows a man named Paul Jonas, a lost test subject of The Grail Brotherhood (the men and women behind Mr J's), trapped in their virtual universe with no way out, no memory, and terrifying things hunting him.

It's kind of hard to get into, Williams' has quite a slow pace at the start of all of his series', but once you hit about the 150 page mark- bam! It just gets insanely good. And, it's the first book I've read where the way of speaking actually fits where the characters are from- the South Africans sound like South Africans, the Aussie sounds like an Aussie (this is without using 'bloody' or 'flaming mongrels' in every sentence), and everything just fits with the real world. For a sci fi book, it's actually a pretty big achievement.

The books themselves are freaking huge. The first volume was 900+ pages, and I'm pretty sure the three others are about the same. But so far, they seem so worth plowing through. Characters, story, setting... Everything about it is just awesome.

Anyway.... I just wanted to share with you guys how much I freaking loved this book. I want number two. I expect you all to go and read a copy, now. Or else.
Back to top Go down

Otherland series by Tad Williams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Otherland series by Tad Williams   Otherland series by Tad Williams EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 12:50 am

sounds interesting!

i shall go get it once i finish the saga fo the exiles Razz
Back to top Go down

Otherland series by Tad Williams
Page 1 of 1