The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Makeup for mature women

Go down 
+4
TOONRULESOK
Lindsay
Gloomyjewel
abercrombie
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Makeup for mature women Empty
PostSubject: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 am

Ok, so I know how to do makeup in wild fashions, and it looks great! The only problem is, I'm not sure what to do with mature women. I actually turned down a client at school cause I didn't know what to do! I know this sounds weird, but I don't want to apply the makeup to gaudy or intense. Especially if they are wearing blues, greens, or black clothing.
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 am

well depending on how old "mature" actually is (if ya get me!), I'd say it's all about perfecting the skin.

cleaning up the eyelids as they're prone to staining and then a soft smokey eye in grey or brown tones depending on eye colour/ skin tone.
maybe add liner to open up the eye, again, anything but black and lots of mascara.

lips generally lose their pigmentation so slightly stronger but still natural colours. i'm thinking pinky-browns and rose-tones?

for skin, it's all about getting the glow back so maybe mixing an illuminator in with foundation or use a light reflecting tinted moisturizer.
for cheeks i'd probably go for something like MAC peachykeen (i have no idea how to describe it!) and a little smashbox softlights on the top to bring out cheekbones, highlight browbones etc ect!

i have absolutely no idea if that's the kinda thing you're after but....!!

Last edited by on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 11:31 am

I think mature women are, well depends on their style and personality but in general, mostly concerned about enhancing their features and correcting stuff.
So bringing out their eyes/opening them up if they have small eyes, soft luminous looking skin etc etc.
And easy to wear colours on the eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Use matte eyeshadows and don't use anything with very much shimmer on the face since it can sink into lines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin
TOONRULESOK

TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Yeah, don't youe make-up ttooo thickly on skin as it can enhance lines, try using really light stuff.

And My mum always wears teal eyeliner and brown eyeshadow and she's 50, with incredibly dark colouring (shje's arab). So that might work =) Just use more muted colours, i guess?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missigocommando
pinkhaired

pinkhaired

Number of posts : 1384
Name : Jessie
Registration date : 2007-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 3:18 pm

I would say just stick to natural colors. No blue or green.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 5:27 pm

green IS a natural colour - it depends on if its a brown based green!

colours that are acceptable:

- forest green
- brown
- taupe
- pale pink
- grey
- frosty whites
- creme [think vanilla]
- mauve
- periwinke

generally, a "mature" or older woman can rock ANY colour - its all about how you apply it and the intensity of the shade itself.

also, go for tinted moisturizer, or even a very LIGHT foundation made for older women. a light dusting of powder and creme blusher, and you're set, love. a mineral foundation powder wouldnt hurt, either.

also, try using a clear lip liner on your "mature" clients - using a coloured lip pencil makes a harsh line on the lips, making them look much older than what they are.

hope I helped. :]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 pm

i think the big thing is no shimmer. as long as the skin looks even and fresh, your client will look younger! (which i'm sure they'll want..)
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyWed Nov 07, 2007 11:55 pm

I would actually disagree with frosty whites (if they're not into wild colours), unless they're really well blended with more brown or taupe colours. I've seen them on a few older ladies, and it's overpowering if it's the main colour. Personally, I think you can't go wrong with a brown smoky eye on an older lady- or olive greens if they have the right colouring. And as Ms Puffs suggested, soft pinks are often really nice as well. I have seen some people wearing purple (not like super bright or anything), and it looked AWESOME on her. It's really down to the client, just be sure to flesh out what they want.

Some shimmer can look okay on the eyes, but not a truckload. Like Lindsay said, some of it can get stuck in the lines. I would say none in the blush, though, it looks a bit tacky on anyone over thirty. Definitely stick to lighter foundations like everyone's said- I work with a lady who has beautiful looking, glowy skin and she has a few blemishes, but just slicks on some liquid concealer (for dry skin) and uses mineral powder over the top. It looks fresh, but still really natural and pretty- she does take really good care of her skin, though, so obviously that's an issue. This same lady uses gel blush and it seems to work pretty well for her.

Stick to more neutral shades for the lips, darker coloures make most people look older. Mainly rosey pinks if they're fair, sheer peach and orange colours for olive and tanned women and reddy browns for darker skinned ladies. I'd say they're the 'safest' colours- they're less likely to stand out heaps if the lipliner/stick you apply bleeds, which we've all seen happen.
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyThu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am

What's clear lip liner??

Edit: ohh so it's more like nude than clear?

Last edited by on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyThu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 am

I've always heard it called reverse lip liner, it basicly just keeps lipstick from feathering or moving and it isn't colored like normal liner.

like this one:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P36735&categoryId=B70
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyThu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 am

thanks so much for the help!
Back to top Go down
Aelwyndaeira

Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm

On this topic, I did my mom's makeup for the "Hot Night In The City" thing (Firemen getting half naked, dancing, and modelling clothing). Anyhow, she has olive skin, and is 65 and has wrinkles. She also has NO eyelashes (she also barely grows armpit or leg hair).

Soooo....I applied covergirl liquid foundation (the kind that comes with the primer stuff, but I didn't use the primer) in a beige tone, then did her powder (It was some mineral powder that worked GREAT). I contoured her cheekbones with a dark bronzer, then applied a mix of lighter bronzer and deep rose blush to her cheekbones. Blended, and put some powder over it.

I put a medium brown colour on her eyes, darker brown at the corners and creases, and a shimmery vanilla colour below her brow (which I trimmed and cleaned up---she finally doesn't have "fuzzy caterpiller" brows!). I filled in her brows with some brown eyeshadow (she has light brown hair with blonde highlights). Then I used dark brown liquid liner and did a thicker line on the top lid with a bit of a "cat's eye" on the outer corner. Then I did a thin line on the lower lid, which I went over with a bit of darker brown eyeshadow. A teensy bit of mascara (since she has hardly any eyelashes on top, and NONE on the bottom), and a bit of white shadow in the corners and blended down below her eyes made them POP.

She looked MARVELOUSLY glamorous (it helped that we did her hair in soft curls, and it look amazing) for the first time I ever remember!

So yeah, my two cents on doing an older woman's makeup. Neutral colours in darker tones are GREAT for glamming up, and a bit of shimmer doesn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Makeup for mature women   Makeup for mature women Empty

Back to top Go down

Makeup for mature women
Page 1 of 1