The Cupcake Mafia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAC cosmetics

Go down 
+4
Le_Saboteur
abercrombie
PolyphonicThought
Lindsay
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Ok so I know everyone and their damn grandma wants to have this extensive MAC collection that will last them until the end of time...and I'm sorry guy...but I don't!!!

MAC has 3 redeeming quality...COLOR, SPF, and brushes.

but...there is no need to spend that much money on it.

It's in no way good for your skin. I'm serious. MAC cosmetics are not healthy at all!!!

The foundation is the worst! It looks cakey, too thick and greasy, no matter who uses it. It's just a horrible look. I'll hear people say "OMG, I break out so easily and this gives me like the perfect coverage."
I'm sure it's giving you great coverage...but what the hell do you think is making you break out so much? People are just so jaded by the presentation of the product that they don't realize that they aren't gaining from it. And as for the SPF...you really don't need it with MAC foundations...the sun sure as hell isn't getting to your skin with all that cake on it.

As for their eyeshadows,pigments, and blushes...I like them and I'll buy them, but not if I can find the exact same color for a half or even a quarter of the price.
You can buy Ben Nye shadows for half the price of a MAC shadow and you get 3 times as much. It's equal or maybe even better quality.

Now, their lipsticks I've never tried although I did want the new C-Shock blue and purple ones, I don't anymore because the color is just a wash and not a true blue or violet color...complete turn off.
The lip glosses are too thick IMO. And I hate thick lip gloss like the plague.
So if I'm going to buy a thick lipgloss, I'll buy something that costs half the price and put a lil' clear lip gloss with it.

Basically all MAC is, is an over exagerated stage make-up company.
So if I want the benifits of stage make-up I'll stick to Ben Nye, Mehron, and Kryolan...less expensive yet better quality!!!
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm

I agree about the foundations, those will never ever touch my face! The mascaras are shit too.

But I love most of the eyeshadow, but I've been disapointed by a few. I have two lipglosses, a lipglass which I loooove and a lipgelee, I like the texture of it, not sticky at all, but I don't love the color I have it in.

I want to marry my MAC brushes though.

One thing I will never buy again is those damn Liquid Last Liners! They are soooo thick and the brush on it it horrible and I have to use a Wet N Wild liner brush for it. It's also kind of a bitch to get off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:48 pm

I love you for this review.

I want some ben nye anyways, dammit.

let the cattiness begin! =D
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:57 pm

aww...Puffy...I want to keep you in my closet
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Every brand has their cult products, and products which work for some and not others.

I could take you're post and just replace MAC with Benefit, NARS or Stila - it's personal preference and what suits your skintype.

If you don't like it, don't buy it!
I don't think it's fair to push opinions on people :/
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 pm

I pretty much like all their products, except the lipglosses don't stay on too well, or last too long, at all. :\
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Nice to see a review like this ... over here I only here superpositve stuff about this brand ... and that's why I wanted to purchase some ...

So it's kind of nice to see another opinion than: OMG this stuff is great!!!! Because if I ever do decide to buy some stuff from them, I really want to sure if they're worth it, esp. for such an expensive brand.

But what is SPF?
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 pm

oo lindsay, use something OIL based to get the liner off - discodollies mentioned that in her vid where she used a gold liquid last as a base! I'll linky you to it if you like. =D

and ava, I understand what you mean, but all a review boils down to, is the opinion of whoever did the review - and how it works for them! :]

and of course I'll live in your closet, dear Tiinia =D
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 pm

and Ava sweetie I don't think it fairs for you to say I'm pushing my opinion. This is the review section, and this is MY review ofMAC and my opinion

so if you don't like it disregard it

the "fact" that MAC is stage make-up is just that, a fact!
that's what it started as. and any person with half a brain can tell you that stage make-up is not meant for heavy every day usage

so for you to say that i'm trying to push my opinion is kind of offesive

Last edited by on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lindsay

Lindsay

Number of posts : 3491
Name : Lindsay
Registration date : 2007-06-10

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Well it comes off no problem when it's used as a base! but when I accually use it as a liner it gets all between my eyelashes and most of it will come off but there will be a few specks stuck on that don't want to move so I just pick em off Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lin_lin
PolyphonicThought

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Lamia wrote:
Nice to see a review like this ... over here I only here superpositve stuff about this brand ... and that's why I wanted to purchase some ...

So it's kind of nice to see another opinion than: OMG this stuff is great!!!! Because if I ever do decide to buy some stuff from them, I really want to sure if they're worth it, esp. for such an expensive brand.

But what is SPF?

SPF is sun protection! its the stuff in sunblock that keeps you from getting sunburn. cosmetic brands will take that, and use it in foundation, so you have protection for your face! :]

and youre right, it is rare to hear an opinion besides "omg this is fabb i lurve it!" since not everything works for everyone. the most I could do it get some of their samples - since I cant spend tooo much on products! Razz

and awww for lindsay!
she had this oil based mac wipe thingies....no bloody clue what theyre called, but she mentioned it in her collection vid. rawr!
Back to top Go down
paleogrl

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

I don't like their mascaras or concealers at all either, but I like their eyeshadows and pigments. Then again, I've never tried kryolan or ben nye, and I've never even heard of Mehron, so I can't compare. I've always wanted to try kryolan especially, but I don't like to buy makeup without trying it, and I don't know where to buy it except offline.

And I love MAC brushes! But I don't own any.. poo Sad
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

hehe, thx for explaining me that Puffy!

And yeah if I could get samples I would try some of my own ... but no ... So I'll have to do with reviews instead =)
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:17 pm

I've had a similar opinion on the Bare Minerals stuff...everyone seems to like it but it really didn't do much for me

alot of my opinion comes from the fact that a lot of MAC products are oil based ,even the minerals and some powders, and I have oily skin...so it's just a no no for me

if it doesn't have talc(baby powder) it has mica and mica is a mineral powder that has natural mineral oils in it

I can understand where some people love it and others don't and I won't argue that someone shouldn't use it, but I see these girls that were nothing but MAC every single day, and they look bad. Part of it may be because they just suck at make-up and they think wearing an expensive brand is going to redeem them of that(which I'm sorry but a lot of people do), but another aspect is that MAC is just not good for alot of skin types except dry.
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:21 pm

mhm - Ive seen girls take off that MAC foundation and I wonder just how much SPF is in the stuff. they have no colour to their skin at all. some girls have even made the same comments as you - too thick, oily, and broke me out! and they use something else.

just like maybelline foundation,
MAC foundation is perfect only for those with
perfect skin.
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Stupid Liquid Last liners. They're $20 each, the container is really tiny and I can't get it off for the life in me!

Yeah, i agree that MAC isn't all that great. The brushes are amazing but everything else isn't the best.

The foundations are some of the thickest, cakiest, most clog-your-pores-in-an-hour things I've ever seen and tried! My mum (who has really bad skin) refuses to use anything else but MAC foundation and is trying to make me use it too.

No thanks, I LIKE my skin.

The mascaras smell funny and make your lashes all clumpy. The Zoom Lash one is crap!

The Fluid Line stuff is pretty good. The colors are great.
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

r!nGw0rM wrote:
Part of it may be because they just suck at make-up and they think wearing an expensive brand is going to redeem them of that(which I'm sorry but a lot of people do).

I totally agree! Razz I don't see anything wrong with rocking cheaper brands....It's all about application. Granted, you need something long lasting but eyeshadow primers, etc, can help with that. It's about what works on an individual.

Alsooo, now you really make me wanna try Ben Nye!! I've been wanting to. And I've never been too interested in MACs colors besides their pigments, just thought maybe they'd have the longest lasting lipstick since everyone makes such a big deal out the brand.
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Ben Nye is seriously "the" shit!!! in love!!!

I do like MAC's kohl liner in smolder...it lasts forever...
and I've been interested in trying the Fluid Line
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Well, in that case, definately getting some ASAP! Do you order yours off the computer orrr is there stores you can actually get it at?
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 pm

Yeah, I've always thought that MAC is overrated. Having said that, I've never tried any of their products! Haha, so my opinion isn't exactly valid.
But I do want their whole brush set. And all of their pressed eyeshadows. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:51 pm

I think this year Santa is going to have an awful lot of girlies asking for complete MAC brush sets on their wishlists this year!! Razz
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 pm

I don't even have a MAC near me, so I wouldn't have an opion.

I used to want to try it, but then my friend broke out from the foundation. She also has a ton of the eyeshadows and they were ok, but not "WOW" like I've heard.
Back to top Go down
pedestri

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 10:11 pm

i have to say that i really like MAC eyeshadows and pigments. i've never used their other products, but i'm contented with what i've tried.
Back to top Go down
poetic_s

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 pm

Okay, here's my take on the whole thing.
I love mac shadows.
I do.
I have had some for four years and still going strong.
They're highly pigmented and work excellent with a good base.
A little goes a long way.
Which my take on the ben nye shadows is completely different.
They have a hard texture.
You have to layer color even with a base to get a good pay off.
I used all the bright ass shadows from them, with their brushes on 20 different girls for 2 weeks straight. (Musical. I was head of make up.) I brought cream shadow for a base (Cheap solution because the base we were working with wasn't cutting it) and it was still iffy. I just didn't like them. You really have to work with them. And the girls who liked to do their makeup by themselfs...oh lord, is all I can say.
We used Ben Nye foundations and blot powders on the munchkins and kroylan on the main characters.
Every single kid had breakouts by the end of the show.
It was crazy.

But look at it this way.
Most makeup out there is bad for your skin.
It has talc, oils, and all kinds of icky stuff.
The more you get into the way makeup is made, the safer your skin is going to be.
I mean I like Bare Minerals just for the simple fact that it contains zero talc. Which is excellent and very rare in a foundation.
I love the coverage and I have horrible acne and pit scars.
I dunno.
You just really have to follow the process.
To me, time brings experience.
Hopefully in the near future foundations and powders will improve.
Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 11:58 pm

I completely agree...although I've never had a problem with my Ben Nye shadows... I love them

and I also love MAC shadows and paints and pigments

and as I said I wasn't really thrilled with the Bare Essentuals

so it really is a matter of personal preference and opinion

but the general point of my thread was that just because you've never hear anything bad about MAC doesn't mean no one out there doesn't like it or something about it

It's on the same level as the Ben Nye and Kryolan...that is just what it is, it's stage make-up
It is just so well presented that they have been able to expand and come up with so many new products without letting the general public know what the real deal is

but that's not going to change the fact that you can get products that are not quite as bad or less expensive and still be able to look good

it's like the idea that girls will were MAC because they think it redeems them of looking like shit...it really doesn't
you know just because your buying a product that is held in high esteem doesn't qualify you to be held at the same level and I was just trying to get people to realize that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAC cosmetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAC cosmetics   MAC cosmetics Empty

Back to top Go down

MAC cosmetics
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cupcake Mafia! :: Glam Yourself Up! :: Product Reviews-
Jump to: